1/2 kg of goat innards (liver, intestine, blood (cooked), kidney, heart , pancreas)
1/4 cup of goat bile juice
2 inches ginger (julienned)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 bulb onion (sliced)
3 tbls of oil
1 cup of tamarind broth (boil 10 pcs of tamarind fruit until I become soft, filter the broth) or you may use 1 small pack of tamarind powder which is always available in the market.
Salt to taste
1. Put goat internals in a casserole. Put enough water and boil for about 30 minutes.
2. Remove meat from casserole and discard the water.
3. Chop all the internals to at least ¼ of an inch. Set aside
4. Sauté garlic, ginger and onions.
5. Add 4 cups of water and put into boiling.
6. Add tamarind broth and mix and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Add water if necessary.
7. Add bile 1 table spoon at a time according to your taste
8. Seasoned with salt.
9. Serve hot.
NOTE: Some Ilocano folks serve papaitan as soup during meals. In this case, you need to add more water and balance the taste by adding more bile juice, tamarind broth and salt.