Nilagang Manok is a boiled chicken with vegetables like onions, carrots, cabbage, potatoes, pechay, and green beans. Sometimes corn is added if available. It is seasoned with salt, and black pepper. Serving comes with a dipping sauce – a fish sauce squeezed with calamansi juice to supplement the lacking flavor in the boiled chicken.
- 1 kilogram chicken (cut into serving pieces)
- 1/4 kilogram of cabbage (cut in chunks)
- 5 pieces of pechay leaves (Bokchoy)
- 5 pieces green beans
- 2 potatoes (quartered)
- 1 piece carrot (chopped)
- 1 piece onion (quartered)
- 10 pieces whole black peppercorn
- 6 cups of water
- Salt for seasoning
- Dipping Sauce (for every sauce plate):
- 2 table spoon fish Sauce (patis)
- 1 tablespoon calamansi juice
Recipe Cooking Procedure:
- Put chicken in casserole with 6 cups of water. Add onion, salt, and black pepper. Bring it to boil then lower heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Cover the pan.
- Add potato, carrot, green beans, and cabbage in the casserole. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Place the pechay on the last couple of minutes of cooking.
- Now prepare the dipping sauce by combining 2 tablespoon of fish sauce and calamasi juice for every sauce plate.