Traditionally, when we talk about menudo dish we mean pork and liver stewed in tomato sauce. But you can also cook menudo using chicken meat and its liver instead. Chicken meat is tender than pork so the cooking process and time is much simpler and easy.
Ingredients mentioned here are just the basic, you can increase the volume of your meat by adding hotdogs or chorizo de bilbao. This added meat also improves the flavor of your dish. If you wish to add red hotdogs, boil them first in a separate casserole just to remove its color otherwise your menudo will turn reddish which is not pleasing to the eyes. Also, if you are not in hurry and have enough time, marinate the chicken first with soy sauce for at least 30 minutes inside the refrigerator before sautéing. This too will make your chicken flavorful.
- 1/2 kg – Chicken breast and/or legs ( De-boned and cut into cubes – about 1/2 inch)
- 1/4 kg – Chicken liver (cut into cubes – about 1/2 inch)
- 1 piece onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 piece ripe red tomato (chopped)
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 piece carrot (cut in cubes)
- 1 piece potato (cut in cubes)
- 1 piece – bell pepper (red or green, chopped)
- 1 piece bayleaf (laurel lea)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 teaspoon soy sauce
- Fish sauce (patis) for seasoning.
Recipe Cooking Procedure:
- In a deep pan, saute garlic, onion and tomato.
- Add chicken meat and liver. Stir fry for about a minute.
- Add tomato sauce, soy sauce, and water just enough to cover the meat. Put into boiling then reduce heat and simmer.
- By the time liquid start to simmer, add carrots, potatoes, bayleaf, and bell pepper. Cover the pan and continue cooking for at least ten minutes or until the vegetables and meat become tender.
- Add the raisins and mix.Continue cooking for another two minutes.
- Finally, season with fish sauce according to taste.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Cooking Tips:
Do not throw away the chicken bones from de-boning, instead make a broth by boiling the bones with 3 cups of water for at least 30 minutes. Use this broth then for cooking your menudo. Your dish will taste even better.