Atsarang labanos - this is my favorate pickled recipe. It goes well with my lechon kawali or fried fish recipes. The sweet-sour taste of this condiments really improves the flavor of the food.
I always have this stuff in my refrigerator so that every time I crave, it is always there. Why not try this making Atsarang Labanos?
2 pcs - medium size radish
1 pc - ripe tomato
1 pc - medium size onion (sliced)
1 cup - white vinegar
1 cup - sugar
1/2 cup - salt
1. Peel radish skin then slice crosswise into thin slices.
2. Put radish in big bowl and sprinkle with ½ cup of salt. Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes. Its juice will come out naturally. This process is to remove the pungent taste of the radish.
3. Rinse radish with water and drain.
4. Cut tomato and remove the seeds. Slice it into wedges.
5. In a bowl, mix vinegar and sugar. Blend well. (Note: You may vary the volume of sugar depending on the acidity of the vinegar.)
6. Put in radish, tomato and onion.
7. Refrigerate. Best served the following day.